Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The Journey Begins


This blog is intended to be about my experiences as a bear artist and what I make.  Also my musings and things I am up to.  But we are also going to take a side trip into my *slow* adventure trying to customize my first Blythe doll.  Did I mention this would be a slow process?

I have no idea what I am doing, but that's ok!  She is intended for my enjoyment and so we will see what ensues!

She arrived yesterday and made herself right at home.  She got to know Gypsy who has never seen a doll before and was not as impressed as one might think she should have been.

I want to tell you right off, I haven't seen one of these dolls in person since I was about ten years old.  I have seen many beautiful images of them online but that never tells the whole story.

My first impression was terror.  I felt something akin to panic when I took her out of the box.  It was a silly thing to feel, but you have to understand I am used to bears.  Bears don't break if you bend them wrong or drop them, and she seemed so fragile to me.  I am sure she is much tougher than she looks.

I was really impressed with her hair.  I expected it to be stiffer like Barbie hair and it's so very soft.  It's also one of the first minor changes I am going to make.  I am going to trim it because her ends are really shaggy and uneven.  Then I have something in mind I want to try that I have not read anything at all about.  It's just something I wanted to try...I have no idea if it will work at all, but we will see!

Another initial change I want to make are her eye chips.  The first pair I ordered arrived today and I ordered them in a very pretty teal because I like the color you see in the photo.  The thing is when I was getting to know her yesterday I noticed this set of eye chips she came with has four leaf clovers in the pupils.  I included the second photo so you could see it.  She is clearly a lucky little Irish girl and I can't take that away from her.  So that will be the one original set that stays.  The other three sets are ordinary.  They are a very pale blue that is pretty but they are flawed, a bright purple set that I have no issue replacing because purple isn't really my color.  Then she has a grey set that was initially the ones I was going to leave in, but as it turned out they will be the ones I replace first.  I watched the tutorials, I have my glue sticks ready...I am a bit nervous about it.  Wish me luck!

The other small alteration I am going to make is to replace her ring on the pull string.  That is the easiest thing but I really dislike that plastic ring so that has to go!

There is my Blythe report.  Lucky girl doesn't have a name yet, I am open to suggestions.  Until she gets one I will just call her Lucky Girl!

I will let you know how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment